Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences (Deemed University) came into existence in 2005 with Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College and Sharad Pawar Dental College at its constituent units. Thereafter, the Mahatma Gandhi Ayurved College, SRMM College of Nursing and the RN College of Physiotherapy were included in its ambit in 2007. It is located amidst green surroundings in Sawangi (Meghe), Wardha in Maharashtra and is conveniently connected to Nagpur International Airport which is 70 kms away and the nearest railway station is Wardha Junction on the main Howrah-Mumbai line which is 2 kms from the campus.
It was founded by Hon’ble Shri Datta Meghe, a four term Member of Parliament with a vision to serve the poor rural populace by providing specialised healthcare to them. It has since grown into a World class institution attracting students from all over the country and from over 12 countries worldwide.
This University offers courses from UG to Doctoral degree its various Faculties and has a strong emphasis on research. It has vibrant global linkages with over 40 leading Institutions around the World including University of Sydney, Harvard School of Public Health, John Hopkins, University of Washington, University of Sheffield, Chester University and RAK Medical and Health Sciences University.
The University is amongst the top ranking Health Sciences Universities in India and has several notable achievements to its credit.
The major ones are as under: –
- Accreditation by NAAC with highest Grade ‘A’ for two consecutive cycles since inception
- Included in the elite Category ‘A’ by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India
- Medical College and Dental Colleges have completed Silver Jubilees of establishment
- Medical College declared as ‘Regional Centre for Medical Education’ by the Medical Council of India
- Recipient of the Dr. B.C. Roy Award for Institutional Research
- Ayurveda College declared as Nodal Centre for Faculty Development by Central Council of Indian Medicine, New Delhi
- Recognition by AYUSH, New Delhi for Public Health Initiative for Diabetic Intervention
- Recognition by Indian Council for Medical Research, New Delhi as Center for Antimicrobial Stewardship Programme
- Recognition of the Dental College as Centre of Excellence for Orthodontics by Smile Train Inc., USA
- Recognition as Centre for Evidence Based Nursing by Karstaad University, Sweden
- Accredited by American Heart Association as International Training Center
- Accredited ISO 9001:2008 organization
- Accredited by the International Accreditation Organization
- 6 Constituent Faculties offering 158 programs, at PhD, Super- specialty, Post Graduate and Undergraduate levels with more than 2500 enrolled students
- More than Rs. 25 Crores extramural research funding, 2500 publications, 300 awards, 100 books, 23 copyrights, 4 granted, 11 published and 22 filed patents and 400 ongoing research projects
- Sprawling infrastructure spread over 125 acres having 1,600 bedded state of the art tertiary care rural teaching hospitals with specialty, subspecialty and super specialty services including cardiac surgeries, neurosurgeries, joint replacements, cancer surgeries, minimal access surgeries and renal transplants
It has International and NRI students from various countries including U.A.E., Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Maldives, U.S.A., Canada, Australia and presently over 130 students are pursuing their careers in its campus.